Thursday, March 4, 2010

We all have the same problems

Recently I had the opportunity to talk to a large group of people, mostly alumni relations officers, and it was a great reminder of what I mentioned in my last post: conferences remind us we all have the same challenges.

I asked people independently and privately to write down their biggest problem/challenge with alumni communications. Most said:
- Our alumni are disengaged and apathetic
OR
- Our database is not adequate

It took me back to my first conference as an advancement professional, when alumni dissatisfaction weighed heavily on my mind. As stupid as it now sounds, I really felt like our alumni problems were different, and no one else could possibly have a group of vocal, dissatisfied alumni. I know, right? How innocent I was.

Now I know we all have those problems, whether it’s over cancellation of a program like football, a controversial hire, fundraising choices or whatever.

I am wondering what other problems we all have? They must all speak to human nature in general if they’re so widespread.

No comments:

Post a Comment